Top 10 Songs of Life

23:55:00

Music. It's one of the few things that’s there for every aspect of your life, the joy, sadness, confusion and delirium. Everyone has certain songs which mean things to them for various different reasons. Each song means something different and strikes various chords with people. Here I have the songs which shaped my adolescence, the music which made me fall in love with music and the songs which carried me through life when I couldn't carry myself.


All I Want – Kodaline

If you have followed me for any longer than a week then you'll know about my sheer adoration for this song. The lyricism of this sing will never cease to amaze me. It paints a picture that remains with the listener, or at least with me, forever. Whether you've been through a break up, lost a loved one or just been through a heartbreak this song will bring you to tears. I had the privilege of hearing Kodaline perform this song live which might be why it strikes such a chord with me. But for the first time in my gig life I decided not to record my favourite song. I couldn't take my eyes off the stage. I couldn't help the tears from falling and I couldn't help having this song engraved in my soul.                                                                       


Sex – The 1975

This is really and truly the song of my teenage years. It sums everything up for me. When life was really starting for me, this song came into my life. Everything was brighter, everything seemed achievable. No matter when I listen to this I sing the line “If we’re gonna do anything we might as well just fuck” with the most childish joy. The song’s about indecision and mistakes and everything real about adolescence. If you asked me to summarize my teenage life in one song I'd simply play you this song and hope you understand.

Sweet Disposition – The Temper Trap

Back waaay before I had an iPod I used to collect the Now! CD’s. I would tell my dad to play them in the car and play them on my broken CD player with static speakers in my room. I thought I knew what the singers were all singing about but in reality I just liked how they sounded. This song was on Now 74 and I'm pretty sure it was track number 12 on CD 2. I skipped to this song EVERY time this CD was on. I listened to it driving to school with my dad and I would feel infinite as the green bushes would fly past my window. I thought my life was exploding when my favourite 1d member Harry Styles got “wont stop til we surrender” tattooed  on his arm. To this day when I listen to this song I feel a little lighter.


Lost In Stereo – All Time Low

When school was at its hardest for me I discovered All Time Low. They are the band which truly got me into bands. Without this song I don’t know how I would have survived fourth year. At the time I thought this song described me, completely and utterly lost without music. I can't describe much more but this band and this song got me through A LOT.
                                                                    
Little Bird – Ed Sheeran
Summer 2011. I was on holidays in second year and I was 14 years old. I stumbled somehow upon this song. The vibe perfectly fitted my summer and I absolutely fell head over heels for this singer. At the time Ed had yet to release his debut album ‘+’ so I listened to his EP’s Loose change, Songs I Wrote With Amy, No. 5 Collaborations and Ed Sheeran album on repeat for three months. My love for this man has only grown stronger since this discovery. I can now appreciate his lyricism and talent while 14 year old me loved the sound of this preppy tune. This song marked the beginning of a love affair that has yet to end.


Layla – Eric Clapton

My dad is a big Eric Clapton fan and when it was his turn (which was very rarely) to pick a CD to play on the car stereo he'd pick between Blondie and Eric Claptons greatest hits. One day on the journey home from a weekend break in Belfast my dad put this cd on. I was 11 years old and didn't much like listening to music I hadn't picked but I never minded when this record was on. Track 7 was always my favourite. On this particular journey home when track 7 came on my dad and myself both reached forward to turn the volume up at the same time. He glanced down, laughed shortly and said “It’s a proud day when your only daughter enjoys the same music as you” and he smiled so genuinely that thinking back it makes my heart warm. My 11 year old self felt proud for my making my dad proud. I can't explain why this song means so much to me but anytime I hear it I'm brought immediately back to a car ride home from Belfast as the sun was beginning to set.


Shiver – Amber Run                                                                        

This song is a very very recent discovery but the first time I heard it marked a very important part of my life. The first time I heard this song was live in Belfast with my now back-together boyfriend. But at the time we were broken up and I was in a serious state of confusion about so many things. We had decided to still go to the gig as we had the tickets so we may as well. My boyfriend had never seen me at a gig before. Gigs are one of the few places I feel completely at home and the noises in my head all shut up to give me a rare sense of tranquility. I had noticed as I was watching in awe of my favourite band that Martin was looking at me more than the stage. I didn't ask and just put it down to the fact he wasn't a big fan of the band himself. We stood closer to each other as the gig went on and I could feel myself falling slowly back into how things were. Then Joe, the lead singer of Amber Run, explained the meaning behind this song which while it didn't apply much to us we laughed and I prayed for it not to be awkward. The song began and suddenly I was hit with a wave of emotions. It made me realise so much in the space of four minutes and helped clear a bit of fog in my head. For me at least, this song will always be ours. God knows where we’d be if I hadn't been so taken with this song.

Brainstorm – Arctic Monkeys

I turn this song up LOUD. And I mean LOUD. I rock out to this song at least once a day. I heard it for the first time when I saw Arctic Monkeys perform live last July. I really cannot explain how much I love this song and how much it has cheered me up. There's no deep meaning here. Just a good song that brings me back to dancing in a slightly muddy field looking like a tent wearing a yellow plastic rain coat that went to my knees.


I'm Not Okay – MCR  
                                                                        
I'm 16. I'm sat staring into space on my bed. I'm still wearing my uniform and there's a chocolate stain on my right cuff. I've just screamed into my pillow for a good ten minutes straight and I have an exam tomorrow. It's drizzling outside and it's starting to get dark. I exhale so deeply I immediately need to inhale and reach for my iPod. I check for any messages. There's none. I try to write a new message but the thought of annoying someone causes me to delete whatever I've typed. I go to YouTube intending to watch some Shane Dawson to try to make myself laugh. Instead I see this song in my recommended section. I tap it and stare blankly as the ads for yoghurt rolls past. I see kids with dark hair and a guy with an Afro running around a school and hear a voice which I don't know who owns almost screaming the words “I'm Not Okay” and for the first time in nearly a week I don't feel like I'm on the ledge of a window about to teeter off.. Five boys singing very loudly with guitars was exactly what I needed to stop me from screaming. I proceeded to watch every music video to date of MCR and I forgot completely about my exam and the Kaiser Wilhelm.

So these were the song of my life which mean the most to me and have had the biggest impact on my life. Thanks for reading and be sure to check out my social media.


I’d like to thank Sarah Hawkinson for inspiring me with this one. She's one of my favourite youtubers so you should check her out here when you get the chance. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe